Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to insert a zero length string into a field using SqlDataSource?

I have a few columns in table with default value defined as zero length string (''). I want to insert record from DetailsView which uses SqlDataSource as DataSource. In the ItemInserting event, if the data is not valid, I want to use zero length string for the column. But I always get Null instead of zero length string. The code in ItemInserting event looks like this:

If objddl.SelectedIndex > 0 Then
e.Values("myFld") = objddl.SelectedItem.Value
Else
e.Values("myFld") = ""
End If

The line: e.Values("myFld") = "" put Null in the column.

How can I set a column as zero length string using the SqlDataSource?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Try:

e.Values("myFld") =string.Empty

|||Check the advanced properties of the parameter in your upate statement. You probably have the property (Sorry, the exact name eludes me) "ChangeEmptyStringToNull" set to true (true is the default).|||Thank you very much. "ConvertEmptyStringToNull" worked perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment